is no spring chicken. And that's okay. In fact, it's more than okay; it's awesome. (Are the kids still saying that?)
You see, we've been around for a quite some time now, through the ups and downs - and ups - of an exceptional industry. In 2004, we celebrated our 100th anniversary, which means this coming year - 2014 - we'll observe our 110th year of publishing for the U.S. commercial horticulture industry. It's quite a feat. We've made it further than most of Willard Scott's celebrated centenarians.
We've got a few surprises planned - shhh - but we'd also like to reach out to our readers and round up some remarks. You are the industry, and as proud as we are of what we've accomplished over the years, we want to share what you've accomplished. What are your milestones? What are your memories?
To give you just a li'l nudge, I'll toss out a few questions here. Maybe these can help get you started:
- Do you know of a horticulture business that's reached the 110-year mark? 100? 50?
- Think back to your first day on the job ... what was it like?
- What model truck was your very first? How long did it last?
- Who served as your mentor?
- Do you know how many plants you've propagated? (C'mon ... take a guess.)
- Over the years, how many nursery dogs have you had on staff?
- How long have you been a member of an industry association?
- Who - or what - inspired you to pursue horticulture? A family member? A teacher? A trip to the local botanic garden?
- Where did you learn to wield a chain saw? A CAD program?
See? We'd like to hear about anything that really, truly stands out in your mind. It may be something that happened last week; it might be a story your grandfather told you. What is it about this industry - and your role in it - that's worth sharing? We know you've got stories, or even short comments. Email me at firstname.lastname@example.org. Anytime.
Help us celebrate our 110th year by focusing on you. Because without you, we wouldn't have been here for 110 years. And with you, we can be around for another century.